Rev. Neal Palmer is the Minister for the Beaverlodge-Wembley-Hythe Pastoral Charge that serves Hythe and area. All are welcome to join in the Sunday morning worship services and Sunday School at Wembley United Church at 9.30 and/or at Beaverlodge United Church at 11.15.
Afternoon Services are held at the Hythe Continuing Care Centre at 3.00 p.m. on the following Sundays in 2017: January 22, March 5, April 9, April 30, October 1, November 5, and December 17.
Evening Services are held at the Hythe and District Pioneer Lodge at 7.00 p.m. on the fifth Sunday of the months with five Sundays.
(The Community Church)
On Sunday June 26, 2011, Hythe United Church celebrated their 81st Anniversary, but the church marked 97 years in History. It all began in 1914 with the Log building known as the “Happy Valley Mission Church".
With so many new settlers moving in with their families it became a necessity to build a Church and a Schoolhouse. Rev. Charles Hopkins had been serving the community by conducting services at the earlier pioneer settlers' homes. Roman Catholic, Anglican, Presbyterian, Methodists and other Protestant faiths all worshipped together.
R. J. (Bob) Baker arrived to this area in April 1912, and he stated "when he arrived there was only a handful of families in this area." Charlie Robertson drove Bob and Herman Rederick around to meet the families. (Kelly Sunderman, Hartleys, Robertsons, Hendersons, & Fletchers) and he spoke of John &Alex Cummings families who arrived shortly after them (Bob & Herman).
Bob told us of how, where and who helped build the church and the schoolhouse. In winter of 1914, logs were hauled by a team of horses from the distant B.C. border by, Bob Baker and Bob McGregor. These logs were to build a log church and later the school.
Bob stated "there were many settlers in the area at this time but these are the names he remembered, as to who helped build the Happy Valley log Church in the winter of 1914-1915 on the southwest corner of NE19 73 10 W6 on land donated by Ernie McLelland. (The quarter was south of Rev. Charles Hopkins' son, Allan Hopkins' quarter - SW30 73 10 W6 - who filed on his land in 1911). They were: Ernie McLelland, William Borden, Colonel Sunderman, Alex Matheson, Fred Coe, Harry Jenner, Bert Veldhuis, Bob McGregor, Stan Thieme, Bill Walper, Dick Sharkey, Cliff Henderson, Alex Cummings, Henry Hartley, Charlie Robertson, Gabriel Tjensvold and myself, Bob Baker."
(What I noted about the above mentioned men is that they all came over the Edson Trail between 1911-1914) and that in 1916 the majority of these men went down to Edmonton or Calgary and enlisted to fight in the 1st World War).
HAPPY VALLEY MISSION:
The little log church was called Happy Valley Mission, Methodist Congregation and minister was Rev. Charles Hopkins. After the church was built, Rev. Hopkins built a pulpit and donated a large Bible dated 1876, and a wooden communion service dated 1896. This pulpit, Bible, and wooden communion service were used in the Hythe United Church built in 1930 and on into 1940's. These are still displayed in the church today.
In 1919, an Organ was donated by the Bill Walper family in memory of their daughter, Mosseleen who died at the age of four. A piece of the organ – a candlestick - is in the display cupboard at the back of the Sanctuary and a picture of the Organ is in the History Book. Bill Walper's family were very active in the log church. His sisters, Susie and Katie Walper assisted on Sundays by leading the singing or teaching Sunday School.
In 1923: Those deceased on Happy Valley Methodist Mission Church Register were: Susan M. Walper/d. July 11, 1923. Officiating Clergy, Rev. Wilkinson and Percy P. Walper/d. Sept 2, 1923. Officiating Clergy, Dr. Forbes.
In 1924: Those married on the Happy Valley Methodist Mission
Church Register were: Alexander Matheson &
Gladys Henrietta Pike/date of marriage, November 9, 1924/at home of Mrs. Pike,
Hythe, Alberta. Officiating Clergy, C.F. Hopkins.
In 1925: the Happy Valley Methodist Mission Church became a United Church of Canada called Happy Valley Mission Church. By that time, Rev. Charles Hopkins was retired, and the church was served by ministers from Wembley and Beaverlodge and by student ministers during the summer months.
In 1926: Baptisms in the Happy Valley Mission Log Church with
1. Ethel Mary, daughter of William C. Walker & Gertrude R. Chioechi;